CALSSD’s strength comes from the collaboration of school board members, superintendents and district staff. Through CALSSD, suburban school districts identify common concerns and influence for policies, legislation and state budget actions coming out of Sacramento.
CALSSD is represented in Sacramento by the Ball/Frost Group, one of Sacramento’s most respected education-focused governmental relations and lobbying firms.
CALSSD’s lobbyists carefully analyze the potential impact on suburban school districts of key legislation, State Board of Education actions, and Advisories issued by the California Department of Education, and provide expert analysis and strategic advice to CALSSD members.
“The work we do is complex and requires a collaborative effort. The lobbyists with the Ball/Frost Group are highly respected for their education policy expertise and know how to elevate the concerns and perspectives of suburban school districts to policymakers. With their partnership, suburban schools districts have a stronger voice in Sacramento to advocate on behalf of our students.”
– Dr. James Hammond, Superintendent, Ontario-Montclair School District
As members of CALSSD, suburban school districts:
- Share ideas and provide input on policies related to educational reform.
- Are represented in Sacramento by expert education lobbyists who know how to advocate for suburban students, schools, and districts.
- Sponsor bills and take positions on proposed legislation based on CALSSD’s adopted goals and philosophy.
- Work closely with policymakers in the legislature, the Governor’s Office, the Department of Education, and the State Board of Education.
- Interact with legislators and key agency decision makers at special events coordinated by CALSSD.
- Receive timely insights on the political, policy, and state budget developments that could impact schools and students.
CALSSD Member Districts
- Carlsbad Unified School District
- El Dorado Union High School District
- Elk Grove Unified School District
- Folsom Cordova Unified School District
- Fremont Union High School District
- Glendale Unified School District
- Irvine Unified School District
- Laguna Beach Unified School District
- Las Virgenes Unified School District
- Madera Unified School District
- Modesto City Schools
- Oceanside Unified School District
- Ontario-Montclair School District
- Palo Alto Unified School District
- Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District
- Poway Unified School District
- Rocklin Unified School District
- Roseville City School District
- Rowland Unified School District
- San Juan Unified School District
- Santa Barbara Unified School District
- Santa Clara Unified School District
- Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District
- Tustin Unified School District
- Vista Unified School District
CALSSD members meet at least four times a year to craft and refine legislative, budget and policy priorities and host a luncheon in conjunction with the California School Boards Association Annual Education Conference.